I've always liked the idea of cloth diapering with the new modern styles of diapers out there. I have a few I used on my little girl occasionally but never really did it full-on. With the new baby on the way, I wanted to give it a better shot. Since this is our fourth and probably last, I wasn't sure I wanted to spend all the money for a whole set of each size in the all-in-ones, and I'm not a big fan of the prefolds with covers. But, I found tons of free patterns online similar to the ones I already had. So, I thought I would give it a try. I made a couple and tried them out for leaking as best I could with out a small baby to try them on. They did great, and weren't too difficult to make.
I think they turned out pretty good, and I have patterns for the bigger sizes if I decide to keep going when he outgrows these. With all the materials, these ones only cost $2-$3 each, instead of $18-$20 to buy them. With the time it took to make them, it was still well worth it.
I told myself if I was going to do this, I had to finish these before I could start sewing any more fun stuff for the baby. Well, I finished all the topstitching today, and I'm DONE!! I have a nice big stack of 15 newborn diapers! Now I can start on the carseat, crib bedding, nursing covers, slings, etc. It's nice to have them finished. I just have to wait and see if they work as well as I'm hoping!
Oh, and my four-year-old has been very interested in them. So, since he still needs something at night, I made four training pants for him with the larger diaper pattern. I just cut off the tab parts and put some knit ribbing on the sides to make them stretchy so he can put them on himself. He likes these so much better than wearing a baby diaper like his little sister.