Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Tiny Pies

So...I love tiny things.  For some reason, they just make me smile.  Tiny jars, tiny sandwiches, tiny ice cream treats, tiny shoes, tiny anything really!  So when I was making pie the other day, I thought "why not make tiny pies too"! I love pie, but don't always want a whole one.  Sometimes I do, but not always.  So this is what I came up with.


Berkeley helped me make some easy pie dough, and we mixed up some fillings.  I didn't have a lot of one kind of fruit, so we did three different kinds.  We mixed the dry ingredients for the filling, and separated it into three bowls.  Then we added the fruits- blueberries, peaches, and apples.


I made small dough balls and flattened them out to about 5" circles.  Then I just put a spoonful of filling in the middle and added another circle of dough on the top.  You pinch the edges together, and kind of squish them in to make the circle a little smaller and puff up the top a little.  Cut slits in the top, or vent by cutting the top layer with a small cookie cutter.  On some of them, I brushed the top with a beaten egg to make them golden and shiny.  I sprinkled all of them with some sugar crystals before baking them.

I had some dough and filling left, but didn't want to wait for the pans to be empty, so I did some in my muffin tins too.  They were some of my favorites.  They are just so tiny and cute!  Those ones didn't need a top piece of crust, just make the circle a little bigger and then fold it over the filling.


I gave some away and froze some too so I wouldn't eat them all.  It's been hard to resist such tiny, cute little things that taste so good, but I am trying.



2 comments:

  1. Wow! I wish I could have some of your tiny pies! Berkeley will have to make some for us when you guys come out! Is she getting excited for her birthday?
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is getting very excited! And she would love to make some with you too!

      Delete